Best Oils for Hair Growth Forums Oils for Hair Forum How to Tell if Coconut Oil is Rancid?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Damara 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hakan

Quick question dudes and dudets; how can you tell coconut oil has gone rancid? I read an article about oils losing their benefits for hair once they are rancid, so needed to know im applying fresh stuff.

9gaj

The most obvious sign is that it will smell pretty bad. Just buy a new batch if you’re not sure, dont want to be putting expired oil on your hair :s

Fuller

Coconut oil generally doesn’t have its own smell so if there is any kind of strange smell it is probably off. It contains butyric acid which if oxidised, smells like off butter if that helps at all.

Hakan

Thanks, that helps because it does in fact smell like RANCID BUTTER blehhhh
    Reminds me of the time I had expired butter on toast…

galena

Aside from smell, some other signs of coconut oil rancidity:
    – Less viscous, becomes blotchy
    – Gets a yellow tint
    – Sometimes even becomes sticky

Its the kind of thing you usually know if its off.

But like the first guy said, buy a fresh new bottle if you are worried.

Damara

What about other oils is it the same kind of effects of rancidity? @galena

galena

Not necessarily no but coconut oil is one of the more unique ones in the way it goes rancid. It takes longer than the avg oil and when it does, its distinctive.
    to be honest though, when it gets to a visually rancid stage i think its fairly simple to notice

Damara

Hmmm, i see ur point. Olive oil gets moldy af after a few days..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.